There’s a little something for everyone in Gettysburg. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania is a mecca for history buffs but what if that’s not you? I have been spending time for years in Gettysburg as I have family there and I am not a history lover. I have found fun things to do in and around the area, especially in good weather.
My favorite things to do in the Gettysburg area:
1. Spend a couple of hours in the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum and Visitor Center. It has a nice museum, a great gift shop, a really cool cyclorama, film and museum experience. They have tours of the battlefield and great things for the kids! I joined the “Friends of Gettysburg” as a family for $63 and got free tickets to the cyclorama, film and museum experience (and a tax deduction AND the pride of helping to fund battlefield preservation).
2. Stop for a cold treat at Mr. G’s. Mr. G’s is a local favorite. It’s located in a civil war era building and even has an authentic bullet preserved in a tree (that was found upon building the ice cream store). They have homemade ice cream (you would be surprised to know how many ice cream stores just sell pre-made) and have a nice selection of rotating flavors.
3. Hang out at the square – there are many events throughout the year such as a Halloween Parade, New Year’s celebration, and summer festivals on the square.
4. Visit nearby Hauser Estate Winery. They have great live music, even an open mic night. Bring your own picnic and join the fun!
5. Go apple picking – some of the best orchards in the country can be found in the area.
6. Walk the beautiful downtown and campus of Gettysburg College.
7. Go skiing, boarding or tubing, which you can find minutes away at Liberty Mountain Resort.
So get to Gettysburg, PA – there is a little something for everyone!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.